Title: Court Ordered Community Service Volunteer
Reports to: Shelter Manager
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To allow members of the community who are required to complete community service provide care for shelter dogs and relief/assistance to shelter staff.
- Follow shelter procedures.
- Unpacking, labeling, stocking of shelter supplies and donations.
- Make sure kennels are clean and smell fresh.
- Feed each animal as proscribed by Kennel Lead and report any abnormalities in appetite to shelter staff.
- Assist Kennel Lead and other shelter personnel with the administration with medications or with restraint.
- Cleans and sanitizes all cages, runs, and related areas.
- Wash and dry towels and blankets.
- Wash and sterilize food bowls.
- Wash and sterilize toys.
- Perform general cleaning as needed.
- Empty trash.
- Patrol shelter grounds daily, picking up any trash and stool material.
- Maintain equipment used to complete job assignments and keep tools and equipment in good working order. Do minor repairs on equipment if able and notify shelter management as to major repairs.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 100 lbs.
- Ability to pass a background check.
- Previous experience in an Animal Shelter or related field preferred
- DUI or OVI
- Speeding Tickets
- Reckless Driving
- Drug charges
- Other misdemeanors (at RCHS discretion)
- Animal Cruelty or Neglect
- Violent offenses, including but not limited to battery, assault, or domestic abuse.
- Physical demands include, but are not limited to:
- Potential lifting and moving animals.
- Frequent movement, including but not limited to, standing, walking, stooping, carrying heavy loads, movement of cages, restraining active animals.
- Working Conditions include
- Possible exposure to dangerous, diseased, frightened, and injured animals.
- Possible exposure to potentially harmful chemicals and drugs.
- Working with strong cleaning agents on wet surfaces.
- Indoor and outdoor work in all weather conditions.
- Possible exposure to bites, scratches, and animal waste.
- Possible exposure to contagious disease.
- Exposure to unpleasant odors and loud noises.
- Emotional Demands include:
- Animal abuse.
- Animal neglect.
Varies as required by court.
Community Service Volunteers may make their own schedule but must arrive on or before 8:30 am each day. Those arriving after 8:30 am will be not be allowed to complete hours that day.
Contact Rosscohumanesociety@gmail.com to apply.